POSITION: Motor Equipment Repair Person
HOURS: Monday-Friday 7:00 a.m. – 3:00 p.m.
(Summer Hours: 6:30 a.m. – 2:30 p.m.)
SALARY: $26.55 – $32.74 per hour (plus union contract incentives)
POSTED: January 19, 2023
Priority Deadline: February 10, 2023
The Town of Franklin’s Department of Public Works (DPW) is seeking candidates for a Motor Equipment Repair Person. This is a full-time benefitted position and the incumbent
will work 40 hours per week. This position is assigned to the Central Motors Division and reports to the Equipment Maintenance Supervisor.
The Motor Equipment Repair Person, or Mechanic, is responsible for repairing and maintaining Town vehicles. The Mechanic is part of the larger DPW team and also
participates in snow operations, including operating plows, sanders, and other snow equipment.
The Motor Equipment Repair Person is responsible for the following:
• Provides extraordinary customer service
• Repair vehicles and equipment in accordance with manufacturer’s specifications, operations manuals, diagrams and sketches, using hand and power tools and precision measuring and testing instruments.
• Trouble shooting, diagnosing and correcting problems with vehicles and equipment.
• Remove, repair, and replace major components such as engines, transmissions, front and rear end assemblies, hydraulic systems, pneumatic and hydraulic brake systems and electrical systems.
• Perform bodywork and selected painting.
• Pick up, deliver, and unload parts and materials.
• Operate snow removal trucks, sanders, and equipment.
• Assist and provide support in servicing mechanical components at town wells, pump stations and recreational facilities, including set up, running, and servicing of emergency equipment.
• Repair equipment and vehicles in the field and assist in towing the vehicle.
• Trains personnel on operating procedures and equipment.
• Performs work in a safe manner in accordance with department safety guidelines and State and Federal Regulations.
• Report unique and unusual situations to the supervisor or designate.
• Performs other related work and assists other departments as required or requested.
• Ability to understand and communicate work-related information
• Demonstrates basic mathematical skills in addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division
• High School diploma or equivalent
The ideal candidate will have experience in automotive maintenance and the ability to operate test measurement and diagnostic equipment and personal computers.
The Motor Equipment Repair Person must have the following licenses or obtain them within 180 days (6 months) of hire:
• valid MA Class B Commercial Driver’s License (CDL) with an air brake endorsement
• hoisting license to operate loader, backhoe, excavator, catch basin cleaner, and special side boom mower (DPS 2A, 4E, and 4G)
Preference will be given to applicants who have these licenses or are in the process of obtaining them (including having a CDL permit).
Interested candidates shall email a resume and cover letter in Microsoft Word or PDF format or a Town of Franklin employment application to [email protected]
Please put “Motor Equipment Repair Person” in the subject line of the email.
The selected candidate must be authorized to work in the United States and be able to pass a criminal background check and a pre-employment physical exam, including a drug test.